11 July 2010

Texting.

I am a texting girl.  I would much prefer to text a conversation rather than talk on the phone.  Partly because it always seems the phone rings at the wrong time. Partly because I have a tendency to say whats on my mind with out thinking and texting forces me to think. I rarely text expletives, but in the average conversation, with known friends, I will let loose without even thinking about it at all.
I text my friends all the time, some respond via text and some call, and some don't respond at all.  I find it the easiest way to contact my husband or daughter.  They can answer at their convenience, and since he's often in meetings and unavailable to talk, texting is great for me to stay in contact.  ON the other hand, he doesn't have a qwerty keyboard, and so getting the text is great, but he has and awful time answering.  My daughter does have qwerty and we have no issues in texting other than making sure the others phone is charged, and one sees it.
The most interesting thing i find about texting, is its so much like writing a letter.  When I was a kid, I loved getting mail- letters, cards, post cards and I would save all of them (a learned trait from my mother.)  In junior high my best friend from school would go away for a month.  We would write each other letters about every 3 days.  Nothing earth shattering went on for either of us during that month, but we missed our daily contact and so we found things to say.  We still write the occasional letter, but through marriage, and kids, the letters are much fewer and far between. And despite my dependency on technology i still love getting the paper letter and envelope in the mail. 
In the movie "the Grownups", Adam Sandler and his family are constantly texting.  The kids even text the nanny for food and drinks.  I am not that bad.  Probably because I don't have a nanny or housekeeper to text for things to be done.   I do have to wonder in this day and age if we are losing the art of real conversations with technology taking over?

No comments:

Post a Comment