09 July 2010

In Pursuit of Excellence

I love this book and find myself reading at least twice a year if not more often.  It's written by Terry Orlick, PhD.  Its really focused at atheletes and performance, but i use it for my dancers that I train, as well as for myself when I find that I'm kinding of drifting in no man's land. 
The book focus' on the 7 elements  to pursue execellence, and can be used in many many situations. (commitment, foucus connection, confidence, positive images, distraction control, mental readiness, and ongoing learning.)
Ultimately : PURE CONFIDENCE COMES FROM FEELING GROUNDED IN WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOUR ARE DOING.; YOU TRUST YOUR FOCUS AND YOUR PERFORMANCE BLOSSOMS- without it you will rarely reach your potential.

I had pulled out last night to write up some notes to use with my dancers.  Helping them to change their perception from perfection to achieving excellence, to increase their awareness and focus of what they are doing in class, and when they perform.  To increase the frequency at which they have consistent performance qualities. And to learn to take the good with the bad. That the bad has lessons in it as well as the good.
I think we all need to do this- take the good with the bad and learn from it.  If you have situations that keep coming to a negative head- its time for a change.  Figure out if your the main cause or something else. 
When teachers, coaches, or directors give you negative comments what can you make positive about it?
There is so much information in this book, and I can't begin to share it all of it.  But I hope that you will consider reading it.
In Pursuit of Excellence by Terry Orlick, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment