26 April 2011

What's new 2

So this post has nothing to do with creating.  You can leave now if you want.

Our family doctor started a concierge type of practice.  In addition to insurance you pay a monthly base fee, for care.  He has a limited amount of patients on this service.  You have access to his cell phone, email, and home care if needed.  He also performs a major physical, doing body photos for melanoma ( I've had melanoma removed, so I'm in it for life as far as having the twice a year skin checks) .  He checks your carotid artery with ultrasound, and has analyzed for atherosclerosis, he does major blood workup through the Berkley heart labs, he spends a great deal of time talking with you.  The time spent initially is about 3 hours.  The follow up is about 2 hours, going thru the results. For me it came down to what I already knew and have been trying to work on in that I need to lose some weight.  Less than I thought, which was helpful.  My cholesterol was much improved to past however the deep analysis they do is far past the Ldl, hdl, as they are typed, into many sub levels and how should you change these.  My ldl was 65- this is low as we know numbers, but two of the sub levels could be improved, so that's on my game plan.  He also  hooks you up with a nutritionist through the heart lab so the choices you make are better for you individually.
He offered and I took him up on it on a device by Body Media.  This little device plugs in to your computer after you wear for hopefully 23 hours a day.  It tracks your sleep, activity- both time and in mets, calculating your calories burned, you track your nutrition on the computer, it tracks how many steps you take a day. Its small about 3" square on an armband.  It even tracks how long you lay down- I read when i go to bed, and although I had slept only 5 1/2 hours it said I'd been laying down 8 something.  Now that was weird. You have to be honest with yourself when your tracking your nutrition. It will show if your on a losing weight trend or upward trend.  I'm tracking through both them and weight watchers on line. Because for so long, I've been tracking through WW I find its comforting to keep going through them.
One thing I can say about wearing the band.  Its easy to not forget when your sleeping.  Its not though entirely during the day.  In fact it keeps you reminded that your working on your weight. I'm wondering if after 30 days, it will be less re mindful, but I don't know. 
So now I'm on a journey to lose weight to improve some health aspects.  If I could discover why I'm so anemic that would be good too.  Yes we tested, and now they are on discovery tract- again.  It looks highly likely that I will be swallowing one of those little camera's that goes through your digestive system, you wear a halter that records the images as the camera passes through.  There's been a fixation that I' must be losing blood internally through this system, however, all previous test have shown negative for this.  Including and endoscopy,a colonoscopy and several samples(BTW those are the worst to collect).  After this I probably head to the hematologist if results remain inconclusive. So that is it for now.  I will in the future post on the body media device and how its going.  who knows maybe even a picture of my self will show up here and there. 
Have a healthy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment