02 August 2010

What a difference a day can make!

I am in shock, still from my afternoon of working with the kids.  I usually teach Friday afternoons.  When I get my group or groups of kids, its usually one of the last classes of the day, AND the last class of the week.  So usually they are a bit tired, antsy to go home, and right now I'm working with middle school-ers, and often feel like hari-kare would be a good alternative. I don't in all honesty know how academic teachers do this age group day in and day out.  I'm fortunate to have a class that is active and involves physical activity.  However, when you have a class of 27 kids and a quarter of them talk & talk& talk& and you tell them to stop, and they keep going, and You make them do things like jumping jacks to  wear them out more, they still talk.  These are the children I would like to bring duct tape in and use it liberally.

But due to travel plans for the weekend, I needed to change my class schedule this week.  So I taught the last class BUT it was on the first day of the week.  It's absolutely astounding the difference.  They were quiet, listened, participated without complaint. I was able to get through the whole workout without having to threaten, or cajole.   And I can't wait to see how they act on Friday for the teachers who usually have them on Monday.  It should be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment