15 August 2010

The week in review [part 1)

Last weekend seemed to go by pretty quickly.  Flew down to San Fran Friday, and rode the Bart from the airport to the hotel.  I was staying in the civic center area, because my daughter was staying in the same area- McAllister Tower of the law school.  It was her first experience of living in a high rise. She was ensconced on the 19th floor while another good friend was on the 15th.  The sky room was the 24th floor, and they could take meals up here. 
I had wanted to get in early enough to catch the show Friday night, but not being familiar enough with the area where the theatre was, I was very hesitant to try and get there halfway through it, carting a weekender bag on top of it.  So I headed to the hotel instead.  I was surprised by the room, as I managed to get a free upgrade and was on the executive floor for the weekend.  I chose this hotel because it had a pool, but we never seemed to make it out there.  Always back to late to use the jacuzzi at night, and too chilly in the mornings.  However its location to metro stops and the Bart was "most excellent" as bill and ted would say.
Friday, I ended up eating in the hotel the bar was small and should have been more pleasant but the bartender was one of those, who didn't feel he had to serve you UNTIL one of the hotel managers camped out in there.  HAHA. However they didn't have any of my new favorite liquor for summer which is Firefly tea or Sweet Carolina tea ( its vodka infused with sweet tea)  mix it with some lemonade, and its just like an Arnold Palmer with a kick!  then I had a dry and tasteless turkey BLT.  adding mayo or guac or even mustard would have helped, but  the key word is HELP, I couldn't get the restaurant guy back in there to ask for some.
Saturday, I googled the theatre and bus routes, and headed over a little early.  Ended up walking past the Urban food market store, as well as the dance studios where my daughter had been working all summer, and finally hit the bus to the theatre.  I believe there may have been a quicker way than walking 8 blocks to the bus, but it wasn't a bad walk.  Once at Z space, I ran over to the Coffee Bar and had kind of a brunch- creamy tomato soup that they make and a Limonata Pellegrino.  YUM.   grabbed a coffee to go over to the theatre and wait.
While at the theatre ran into my daughters room mates parents and we chatted for awhile. Oh did I mention her boyfriend was there?  I'm really not sure, WHY when these kids have limited funds he would spend for a ticket to basically fly down for one day.  This isn't really that big of a deal. 
Show was really interesting, but I did hear from our friends they weren't used to this kind of modern.
My daughters group did a 19 minute excerpt from Robert Moses "Lucifer's Prance".  I would like to see the whole thing someday.  Its a pretty amazing piece. She was in a few other pieces too, all interesting to watch.
Once the show was over and the students all say good byes to each other we needed to head over to the tower to get her luggage.  This is where I started to get grumpy.  The boyfriend, decided he should monopolize my daughter.  This actually started at the theatre.  As we walked up the street they continuously walked 20 feet in front of me.  I had planned on this being a weekend for my daughter and myself.  (This young man has spent almost every weekend at our house since October 09, and much of any vacation too.  Its rather difficult and intrusive sometimes.  He stays in a guest room, but I'm not all that approving of him anymore.  Prior to this, he was a relatively nice kid, but hes' done somethings that make me less than impressed with his ethics.  Henceforth I would prefer they are not together so much.)  So we made it to the tower, grabbed the luggage, and walked through the civic center to the other side where my hotel is.  After dropping off the luggage, we decided dinner was necessary.  They chose a place in Haight Ashbury called the Squat and Gobble.  They make crepes filled with some less than traditional fillings as well as breakfast crepes.  I had the Mediterranean crepe as did my daughter.  It is delicious, filled with feta, eggplant, squash, kalamata olives I think.  It was perfect.
After a quick stroll through the rest of the street, we went to Amoeba records for a bit.  Then grabbed a bus back to Union square.  By this time I was getting chilled, and had realized that I didn't pack a jacket- so with 10 minutes to spare to closing, ran into Westfield to try and find something that didn't cost a weeks worth of pay.  Unfortunately that didn't happen.  As a last effort to do something ran up to the movie theatre but nothing great there I hadn't already seen also listening to BF say he can't really afford a ticket.  We headed to Borders and they are serving a miraculous Carmel apple cider.  That was pretty delicious.   Funny here the BF had plenty of money to spend on coffee drinks.
It was getting late, and I have learned over time, walking in certain parts of the city is not desirable. having to go thru the tenderloin this late isn't Hot on my top 10 list of things to do. I had told them I wanted to take the bus back, but of course BF just really wants to walk (personally I think he was too cheap to put the 2 dollars up  for the bus),  His naivete is ridiculous.  A street person tells him he wants to shine his TENNIS shoes.  So he sits there and starts talking with him.  At this point I was ready to take off and say you're on your own.  Em says "he's too nice, to just say no" and I'm like he's too dumb.  Someday he will be mugged, I'm fairly sure.  So after 10 minutes he comes over and says "Can you even shine tennis shoes?"  ARRGHHHH.  I made a comment this is one of the reasons I don't like walking out here at night.  I also have a sacrum that slips out of place, and have adjusted a couple times a month but if walking alot it can be a constant pain from misalignment.  My feet were swollen from eating take out foods with more salt than I normally have along with being on my feet for over 12 hours. And again, they start in on the walk several feet in front of me.  By the time we got back to the hotel, I walked straight into the shop there, and bought some Motrin.  I had seething anger and pain running in my veins.  I got in my room and headed to the bathroom.  Where BF says" are you OK?"  REALLY you are asking me this? "No I'm not dammit. My feet hurt, my back hurts, I don't like walking through the tenderloin at night," (Left of the reply "You 've monopolized my daughter, I've been feeling like I"m Asian and required to walk 20 paces behind the husband or something.)" Yeah I'm freaking great," and shut the bathroom door.  When I walked out he was leaving, although he asked if he could stay for awhile prior to that.  After all he was going to have to take the Bart to Oakland because he was too cheap to pay for a youth hostel in town.   Whatever.  After he left, and the Motrin and a hot shower washed away the city  and the anger, I was finally able to relax.  The rest of the weekend went much better.  Which I will post in 2nd post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment