27 December 2009

Kwik Sew 3635


Christmas Eve found me sewing on a tunic top/dress that my daughter wanted to use for warm up at dance.  I have fabric for three of them, but wanted to only make one and be sure it met all the requirements she desired.  So here are pictures of the finished dress.  It looks EXACTLY like the pattern envelope.  I made it in a size small for her.  Being Kwik sew pattern it went together rather quickly, my hassles were with my serger- my tried and true serger I broke while working on costumes, and had to use my back up serger that I use almost entirely for its cover stitch function.  It was a sad sad day I broke my baby lock lower looper.  ARGH- I digress.  It has quite a bit coverage for being a cross over top. The fabric was a nice purple french terry with just the right amount of stretch.  Warm but not overly warm for studio wear, and purple seems to be one of her current favorite colors.  These photo's don't do it justice and would have loved to have one of her in it, but you know how it is, you  sew it, press and finish it, and then you never see dance wear again in a presentable state. The photo makes it look kind of boxy in the front, but when its on, it doesn't have that appearance. It sits at the hips with looseness above.  I made the sleeves the length in the pattern which for her a petite is a bit long, but being the current trend to have sleeves come down over your hands and they stick their thumbs through the seam to keep it there. She won't need to put the hole in the seam, its plenty long.  I would make one change and that was the type of interfacing I used for reinforcing the shoulders and front where the skirt attaches.  Something with a little more softness would be good like "Seams be Great", but i was able to trim away most of the stabilizer is used that i didn't want to over- enforce the area and make it stick out. Mostly it was a bad choice from scraps that were sitting on my table from a previous project.  She also picked out a beautiful teal green bamboo french terry for a second one, but i'm struggling with it, as it has damage from the knitting looms, and was not cut straight, and currently is a beast to work on to cut, but i will get it finished in the next few days!  The fabric cannot win.  And Yes it does have a label sewn into it.  I finally got the labels in for my etsy shop, Red and Curly Bebe by Treva which I will have up the fist week of January.  So of course one of these had to go into her garment!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous28.12.09

    Trev -
    I LOVE that tunic!! The crossover style is my absolute favorite - boy, wouldn't I like to have one!!!!!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di, I would love to loan you the pattern.
    its a very quick sew.

    ReplyDelete