20 December 2009

Tis the Sunday before Christmas





Tis the Sunday before Christmas and I'm slowly scrambling around working various items.  Those curtains I started in the summer- I need to finish those and hang them.  They are so close and  they've been hogging my sewing table area for some time now.  Santa would like to see them finished I'm sure. Once they are all hanging, I will put up a few more pics.
And putting the finishing touches on the holiday decorations.  The last few years I've been so overwhelmed with costumes that we struggled to get our tree UP and DECORATED! This year my hubby put it up, and lovely daughter and i finished decorating it during the week.  The angel at the top will have to be done by hubby or Santa, as both my daughter and I are vertically challenged.  The cat this year has taken to sleeping underneath.  She loves tulle -net fabric, and I use a burgandy tulle for a frothy tree skirt.  She has been racing around the foyer, sliding onto the tulle and under the tree.  It's a wee bit nerve wracking when you hear the ornaments rattle.  Of course as soon as i go to get a picture of her, she jumps in a chair and looks quite innocent as seen by these photos.






I have very eclectic ornaments.  Some are from when i was a little girl- the old mercury glass ornaments- many have been gifts from friends over the yeas and hold special meaning.  The jester ornament is part of a set, giving to me by a dear friend who just moved to Ireland and I miss her terribly. She had a shop that specialized in Italian imports while she lived here.  The Jester on the wall behind the tree is also from her shop, but was given to me by the director of the ballet company i worked for.  My daughter has done Nutcracker in some form for that last umpteen years, so the year she was Clara, we purchased the Radco Clara. She has a huge collection of ornaments on this tree that will someday go with her of ballerina's & nutcrackers, from her years of dancing classic ballet.


I will be baking today as well.  Somehow its not Christmas if I don't make a these cookies that are originally middle european origin- I don't know if they are Czechoslovakian, Hungarian or what exactly, as a Russian friend makes them also, but its lovely pastry filled with walnut or apricot filling.  I usually do the nuts.  And then of course classic gingerbread shapes.  Last but not least i started making Pizzelles a few years ago- they are kind of like a very thin and light waffle cookie. I will have to post my recipe later.


This is the christmas crech my mother bought when i was just and infant.  the Angel has taken about a million dives off the barn, and has sadly suffered wing damage.  I was terrible when she would put these out.  We had a long built mantle that was the entire wall length- she would put the pieces spread out over the entire thing- I believe there are 3 sets of wise men, many more shepards and animals, including the camels not seen here- they would be put out with trees and the old cotton batting snow with glitter in it.  I would play with these much to her dismay, every time she left the room and i could get at them.  I think by the time I was 7, I quit, disturbing them. 

While going thru some stash i found some cream sport weight yarn, and decided to make a blanket.  At first i started with separate granny squares, but decided I was too picky about them being exactly the same and every time I sat down, I was getting slight differences in tension.  I couldn't stand it, so turned it into one giant sized granny square, and then put a bit of pink shell edging on it.  This was just an easy project to work on during the evenings while watching the tv.  I like to feel the thread go thru my fingers as turns into some fun piece.  Just measured it and turned out to bee 27 1/2 in square.  good size for a newborn and a carriage blankie.  Its sitting here on my gold tablecloth which is setting off the cream color more to yellow, along with the pink which is pretty bright.  But you know this is Seattle so bright colors are always in trend.



No comments:

Post a Comment