17 March 2011

Happy St Patrick's Day

I love St Patricks day.  When I was in grade school the Monsignor of the parish was from Ireland, and as students we always put on a special show for him.  I remember my class  learning to do a jig one year.  Another year we sang several songs, including McNamara's band and O Danny Boy.  We always had some special celebration in the class rooms, and as I got older, it just seemed the thing to do.  By the time I was old enough to drink of course it was all about finding the best entertainment and bar hopping.
When I married, and when we could  afford it (- those first few years of college & marriage- groceries were pretty limited to the cheapest food available,) we started to have corn beef and cabbage.  I boil it for a couple hours and then make a mustard glaze with mustard and brown sugar and pop it in the oven.  Boil carrots and cabbage in the meat water and you have a delicious and pretty simple meal. 
One of our favorite pubs does and excellent corn beef and cabbage, they always serve with mash potatoes. Which i have gotten quite fond of. They saute the cabbage with bacon.   A shot of Jamison's to go with and its Happy St Paddy's day, don't you know!
This year its music and dinner at home.  The hubs has to leave at 4 am for travel across the country so no bar hopping for us.  Its rather surprising when your daughter sends you and email and says I wish was at the Pub with you guys, you know its gonna be rocking.  Which is true our favorite Irish pub the Wilde Rover, does and excellent celebration with music and bands all day, and by 7 pm they are bursting at the seams.
Hope you all have or had a great St Paddy's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment