27 February 2010

Sew Expo

This is the weekend of the annual Sew Expo in Puyallup.  I always look forward to going and seeing what's new not just in the Seattle area but from all over the nation. 

I attended only one seminar called Refined Embellishments for Creative Sewing.  The speaker Londa Rohlfing was very interesting.  She has put out a video that's almost 3 hours long with more detail for the items she touched on in the seminar.  It really was a pretty interesting class.  She uses a lot of couching of threads, and bias.  She also has developed several styles of jackets with sweatshirts as a base.  These aren't the sweatshirt jackets of the '80s that you split up the middle and put some fabric trim  on the middle and cuff.  These really are much more distinguished, and was surprised that the jacket she wore in the seminar started life as a sweatshirt.  She states the sweatshirt is really just fabric and binding or ribbing that you are purchasing.  She has a website and I would recommend that you visit.

Although I went thru the entire place more than once I was drawn to a couple booths over and over. Nifty Thrifty Dry Goods is a collection of unique and vintage notions.  I love the set up on this booth, it reminds you of an old country story, with jars filled with a single colour of buttons, and cards of trims of a thousand varieties it seems, and beads , etc.  I think I went back here three times to browse their wonderful goods. They also have a storefront online.
Of course I had to go to the Professional sewing Supplies booth and restock my silk flower pins and tailors wax.  There was the Seattle Yarn shop  which is in West Seattle.  I can't wait to go over one day and visit their actual shop.  There were some lovely yarns and textures in their displays.
Lastly I went to Pacific Fabrics.  I love this place. I was so sad when they closed the Issaquah store last year.  I have to really think to go to the bellevue store or my favorite the North-gate store with its Galleria section of fabrics.  I found several goodies here.  A new release of Washington fabric that has pictures of most of the high points.  Seattle's pike pike place market, mt Rainer, snoqualmie falls, apple or cherry blossoms, wheat thrashers, totem poles, crabs, just a few things to mention here, i can't off the top of my head remember them all.  I also found some new Heather Bailey fabrics to use in my guest room.  And I picked up a couple of specialty patterns.  I really didn't spend too much this, trying to be more responsible and cut down on the excessive stash I already own.
I routinely do this show alone.  I went a few times with a good friend who also sews, but I find that I'm looking for one thing or another and I don't want to take the time to look for the things they want too.   I know its kind of selfish but it cuts down on the time I'm there. I don't care for large crowds like this type of event calls for, and its better if I can get in and out as fast as possible. 
The Expo is still on Sunday and if you live in the greater Seattle area its a fun way to spend the day or a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment