05 October 2009

Lovely Sunny Day!

Waking up today to such a lovely sunny fall day is perfection!  Its brilliance, and the air is crisp, and energizing.  It's a college holiday, so my daughter is home this morning, which indeed is a rarity.  Actually having her be home is a rarity, since her senior year has started. She runs up as i came down the stairs so "whatcha gonna do today?"  Hmm well i have and appointment later, what are you going to do?  I have homework.  The constant answer it seems, homework- if its not homework for her school classes, its homework for her choreography classes.

   Last night we went on the search for a vintage photo of my mother.  She was modeling for a photographer in the woods in a suit that looks as if its made from a few bandana's tied together- something sort of wood nymph like.  I've always loved this picture of my mom.  Now my daughter wanted to use it for a storyboard for one of the pieces she was creating.  What a compliment. See photo to the left.  It was interesting though, as we toured thru this old album of photos where most NOT ALL but most of the individuals had passed on.  She would look at a photo and say who's that?  and it would be my mom, or an aunt.  And then we found this beautiful picture of my grandmother, and she says who's that?  It's my grandmother, I said, she looks at me and back at the photo, and says you look like her.  I'm in total agreement.  My lovely grandmother was short, blonde and rubinesc.  My mother was tall, dark haired and not thin, but was not over endowed on top.  I prayed as a kid i wouldn't have my grandmothers abundant breast.  I certaintly was headed that way, and as a teenager, and it scared me.  Fortunately somewhere they stopped and i do not have the abundance of my grandmothers breast or lack of  my mothers (according to her) but am happily in the middle.  This tour thru the photos was not very long, and a little sad for me.  My daughter never met my grandmother, or mother, or several other dear relatives.  She has grown up only knowing stories of them, and actually knowing a few other relatives on my side, and my spouses parents and siblings. It was an interesting time.
So today, we have lovely fall weather and the feel for foods made from winter squash or pumkin.  The smell of cinnamon cooked.  Perhaps i will make the little pumkin tarts that Bakerella made  a week or two ago. Pies and tarts always bring back family memories as well.  It's just one of those days.
Have a great one!
trev

No comments:

Post a Comment