03 October 2009

ahh the weekend

Today has been one of the very mixed feeling days.  It started out good, I turned in 86 yards of fabric for the purge stash sale.  I'm hoping alot of it sells. I only asked for a few pieces back, rather than donate.  Then,  tired  still, i  went to work at the studio with kids i teach which i usually find very rejuvinating.  Then happily set off to get coffee and call a friend about going to the movies tonight her husband is out of town for the weekend at their sons parent day for college.  As soon as she answered i could tell something was not right.
She finally gave in and told me had just found out yesterday she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and was still trying to get her head around it.  After talking for about and hour about outcomes, and not writing the book before its written, because we all have a tendency to imagine the worst possible scenario instead of the best.  I know this friend well and she has been there for me many times.  The year i was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma, she did all the good thinking while i did the I'm not going to think at all.  When i had duct removed from my breast she was my good thinker again.  We are both the kind of people who do for others and never let others know we are sick or we need help.  Stubborn supporters of others never letting others do for us.  I know she will get thru this and i know i will be there for her, and that my job will be talking to her, making her see things in a different light.
 This is not the day i planned but it is the day i had given to me.  And i'm thankful that i was able to share with my friend something that is so dreadful in her mind, and help her to get thru.  At this stage there isn't much more i can do except show up with a pint of ben and jerry,s some hot coco and bottle of baileys.  This is the girls fix everything bad in our lives. Bad dates, fights with spouses, missing your kids in college- as they grow into their own adulthood. We will get thru this, and happiness will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment