25 March 2010

the challenge- to sell ones home.

Oh in this day and time its rather a challenge to sell and buy a new home.    I wanted to put my home up for sale in January, but two of my immediate neighbors put their homes up over the holiday season, and I was worried it would look rather awful for three of them to be up for sale at the same time.  The house across the street sold last month, but the one next door still sits.  Its rather large 4000 sq feet so that makes it a challenge I think.
However I have reached a point that I need to get my house out on the market.  With the buyers credit coming to and end soon, (unless hopefully its extended once again) I don't want to miss that opportunity.
There's nothing wrong with our house. Its only 5 years old, and we were able to put some wonderful touches to it like cherry solid cabinets throughout, hardwoods, tiles, and granite.  It has a gourmet kitchen which I will miss.  Our issues is that our daughter is graduating and going to college out of state, and we need to downsize- no longer a need for so many rooms for her and friends to stay in, and my husband has been driving a 100 miles a day for the last few years, and its really wearing on him.  He is always tired and has little time for fun.  So its time to move on for us.  We still need some specific things, like an office for him, and a room for me where I can work.  But definitely not the additional bedrooms, etc.
I have realtor coming tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous.  Mostly I have a huge amount of clutter going right now, which I will be getting rid  of this weekend.  A trip to the dump, and a trip to the good will take care of most of it.  Then Craig's list will have to take care of another large portion of it.  I'm very sensitive to clutter.  Unfortunately being both an artist and a designer/seamstress, I have overloads of clutter coming out of the woodwork- fabric, patterns, supplies, not to mention a hobby of making cards and scrapbooks. 

Then we did take a look a few townhouses last week.  That was kind of stressful, even though they are smaller and closer to his work, they are no where near as nicely made as our current home.  It sits on a greenbelt and backs to the golf course. Of course we are talking about the fact that we chose everything for our house, upgrading the carpets, tiles, cabinets, speaker system throughout for music, stairwell to wrought iron and maple and it curves down to the foyer.  If we buy something already built, it means we will have to do the upgrades ourselves and it will be awhile I'm sure.  By building we have the issues of waiting- our current home took almost a year from the time we put the down payment and started selecting things.  The builder had a set way he was going to proceed with the development and our house wasn't necessarily developed in the time line we thought was going to happen.  I don't want to move to and apartment in between selling and buying. That is too stressful as well, and adds more expense.

Moving in general is a stressful for me.  Our last home we lived in for 15 years.  after moving every 2 years prior to that while my husband was in school and the air force it was extremely hard to move out of.  Our daughter had been born in that house, and many memories were made there. This home is beautiful and served its purpose- we were able to find good schools for our daughter to attend with more interested instructors.  As she moves on, so must we though.  I suspect this may be the last home we purchase until my husband retires.  So I'm thinking we will be there at least 15 - 20 years.  I want it to be the ultimate location, and provide enough attributes that we won't be thinking of moving again before then. 

How is moving for you?  Is it easy, hard, exciting?

No comments:

Post a Comment