16 January 2014

Target for summer wear?

Its that time of year when if you start thinking about where your summer travels may lead you. Years past that meant some form of camping or car travel.  Basically my wardrobe would be pretty casual in that it was shorts, tank tops, casual slip on dress, sweatshirt, flip flops and tennis shoes.  Fashion was not considered for these types of vacations.
grey and black stripe knit pencil w/zipper
This year we are headed to London for my daughters graduation from college.  So fashion, limited space and comfort all come in to play.  I've been searching through Pinterest , for travel wardrobe ideas.  I really want to only pack about 10 - 12 pieces for the 2 weeks.   Keeping shoes to a maximum of 3 pairs as well.  I do not want to be picked out as a tacky American for wearing trainers and my hair in messed up ponytail ( no problem i cut my hair off too short for that!)  My last trip over was 10 years ago. I can't even believe its been that long.  I carefully started shopping and thinking about what I would need.  That was a summer trip and I had a few pieces that were made of linen, and a couple cotton sweaters.  I don't really remember what else, but I'm sure I can do better.  We have a few nice things to attend and then plan to go spend a week around Scotland or go across to Ireland perhaps, depending on where we can get time share reservations.
I need to work around a color/neutral and have a hard time deciding.  I've checked out the Panetone colors for summer and found that a couple of my favorite blues are included.  Pale blue is a neutral- but then they have cerulean blue, one of my favorites and emerald green.  It really depends whether you go to for a vibrant or bright palette
 or "soft" meaning pastel.  One of my favorite color combinations since high school some many years ago is Navy and green.  I use to love green of almost any shade, as well as blues and my punch color was always red.  For awhile I drifted and Red was my absolute favorite, with pops of yellow, orange and Magenta Pink.  But I find myself heading back to blues and greens.  While running errands at Target this morning i found myself drawn to a couple skirts and dresses. Can you guess what colors?  I found this dress which totally caught my eye.  I love the sleeves are cut in on the back of the shoulder, the
 top is cerulean blue and navy stripe, while the bottom is sea-foam and navy.  Its simple, easy to accessorize can be casual with flat sandals or wear with dressier ones.  What I didn't like was that the bottom piece is a little too low for the division.  Also it was long on me but I could hem it if that was all.  It had lovely darted shape didn't fit too close for a sheath and was a knit.  It also had the zipper on the outside and for Target I have to say was very well done. check these photos of the zipper application
the inside of zipper

there's even a zipper placket sewn in

 I was surprised by the zipper construction.  I didn't buy it but am planning to make my own version.  It gave me a place to jump off for planning my summer wardrobe as well.  There was also a couple striped pencil skirts I looked at.  The grey and black one above was well made, but way to large and didn't come smaller.  I no longer wear a women's plus size 1x at Target.  So then I looked in the regular women's department wear I found this dress as well, and found a Navy and cerulean blue wider stripe pencil skirt.  I loved the color, the cut not so much.  So also added to my list to make is a pencil skirt in a stripe. These are simple but do require proper fitting for a good look.
I don't know what else will be on my list but at least its a start!  I can't believe it's only January and I'm planning ahead for July.

No comments:

Post a Comment