12 May 2013

Happy Mother's Day! A time for Nostalgia

dances with wild abandon
It's Mother's day, a time to reflect and remember.I'm always nostalgic on Mother's Day.
my grown up baby.
I know I am a mom, and I love my daughter to bits, she has been the the light of my life. However I miss my own mother and the other women in my past who have mothered me along the way. Not just family members -my grandmother and my mothers 2 sisters who selflessly helped raised me, but my friends mothers as well who have passed away.  I remember the hours spent over the years, spent with them, playing cards, or crying my eyes out about something, that seemed like the end of the world to me at the time. Each in their own way made a major impact on my life and my upbringing. How can I say Thank You when they are gone? Did they know how special they were to me? I don't know, I hope they did.

As much as I hope my daughter knows she means the world to me. When she was little she was amazing and funny and didn't even know it.  Now she's still amazing and funny, and I hope she does know it, and can accept that she has an amazing gift.  She's young yet, away at school in another country.  I miss the luncheons, and impromptu adventures we have done over the years, but someday, hopefully she'll be nearby and we can share those things again. Children are such a gift in life, one that if your lucky, stays with you your entire lifetime.
To the mothers in my life I salute you, to the aunts who were childless and bestowed such love and kindness on me I also salute you, you mothered in the way that was available to you.
my mom circa 1966

 Me and my daughter a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment