17 October 2010

weekend round up.

Last week a very dear woman in my family passed away.  She was born in 1910 she passed one month and one day prior to turning one hundred.  My aunt never married, and was the oldest of six children.  When my grand parents were aging, she took care of them both until they passed away themselves. She loved everyone, and treated everyone the same.  When I think of all the things that she saw happen during her life- automobiles and there changing styles, flying, man going to space, among so many other things.  She loved sports, and treated herself to big screen this last year to watch sports.  She was and extremely devout woman and loved her church and the community she lived in for the last 50+ years.
Her funeral was Thursday and the services were attended my the majority of the family, as well as some extended family and friends.  There must have been over a 100 people there. Immediate family went to the cemetery meaning her two surviving siblings, (one is 95, and one 78), one sister in law, nieces and nephews and their children too.  We then went to the church hall to celebrate her life. 
Many of us don't see each other except for weddings and funerals. My brothers were here as well and its the first time I've seen them in about 8 -10 years.  I had forgotten I was so short compared to the two them. The tallest one has 3 children  between 12 and 3, and the shorter one has a daughter who is about 17 months older than my own daughter.  Our children were not present. It's not a great photo but probably the first one of the 3 of us since about 1981.  And I can't stand my hair looks so bad, it was so HOT there, and we had been outside at the cemetery just frying. I kept running my hands through my hair and it totally messed.  Meanwhile I look at many of my girl cousins my age, and they must have a love affair with hair products, because some of those women didn't have hair that budged, not a hair misplaced.  OH well, and so it goes.

I made a quick trip from the funeral to visit my daughter.  Its only 120 miles or so, and once in the area it would be a crime to not see her.  So she and I had dinner at a little Greek restaurant called Mycos? I think down on Polk st. Then I took her grocery shopping for some things she might not be buying usually.  It was a very quick visit but one I was glad to have.  I would have stayed another day, but her BF was coming into town for the weekend and 3 in this case is definitely a crowd.  She'll be home for a week in November though to celebrate her birthday and Thanksgiving.

I finally sold my car this weekend.  Yeah! is all I can say, and goodbye sweet little KIA.  I have enjoyed my Spectra 5.  It was a fun car, and I wish my daughter had been able to get the hang of it.
Now if my house would sell things would be even better. 
We checked out a couple houses today.  One was not great but had pretty gardens and yard. One was ok, but needed some work, and one we liked the outside, but it ended up not being open.  Then we went and looked at the new houses we looked at several months ago by Inglemoor high.  They are still are so pretty and for the price, to have a new house vs one with issues.    I don't know, its not all about location, but a big part.

No comments:

Post a Comment