23 October 2010

Fall

I love Fall! The weather for a bit is sunny, dry and crisp while the leaves begin to change colors. In the Seattle area this can be quite short, before the rain begins to settle in but it doesn't dampen the spirit of fall.
The leaves still turn colors of red, yellow and brown. They still fall with a crunch sound underfoot.  The skies are clear but you smell the hint of wood burning from the many fireplaces in the area. What people don't often know is the rain isn't a constant happening- MOST DAYS (occasional freakish storms do happen). It's off and on throughout the day, with many dry periods.  This is a little tree in my backyard that doesn't get many flowers in the summer, but when the weather turns it becomes a beautiful red. I wanted to get one last picture before it loses it leaves.

I love the fall colors as well.  I'm very fond of yellow and reds.  When I was a teenager, my room was done in yellow and white, and my grandmother helped me make my first quilt which was done in yellow gingham, yellow solids and a print that was yellow, orange, and green.  I love color in general, but am not committed to any one color scheme. I like prints so that I can pull accent colors out that are in MY favor at the time.

Being fall, I feel the need to decorate, regardless of selling my house.  It hurts my soul to not be able to put something seasonal out .  I ran to the craft store, looking and searching for nothing to cheesy or commercial.  I found this  rustic candle holder, which I  LOVE!  I filled it with fall potpourri that has some pops of color, and then bought electric candles for the  holders.  I'm a huge fan of these battery operated candles.  I can put them on when I leave the house for a showing to set a mood and not worry that anything will catch a fire. There are so many types out, and most are set inside candle wax, so even if your into scented candles, you can still have them. 
Then I found these Chinese lanterns, which are the coolest plant when you see them in a garden.  They grow these lovely papery lantern shaped flowers that dried are so beautiful.  I've even seen these used for making cute pumpkin decorations. But I've put them currently, they may not stay, inside my cake keeper, along with one of those lovely buttery colored battery candles.  I just had to bring this pop of color to my dining room table.

you don't see the wire where its placed.

Lastly I found a twig pumkin that I filled with mini lights that were orange and yellow colored, added a spray of fall flowers to it for color.  It's not much but now I feel that I have some seasonal decorations which will last me until Christmas and with Luck we will hopefully be in a new home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment