30 January 2011

Tail gate Warriors and aebleskivers

Whenever I watch the food network channel I get excited to try something new.  The week before I was watching the Ten dollar Dnners or less show.  It had some tasty concoctions going on, and a recipe for polenta that you start on the stove, but finish in the crock pot, which I do want to try.  I love things made with cornmeal.  Corn bread, being my all time favorite, but I love polenta as well.

This week I happened to see the Tailgate Warriors Championship.  These guys are ridiculous in their menus.  It reminds me of when we first started camping, and we would bring a variety of meal ideas, one always seemed to be to much work, but tasty all the same.  Seeing this competition had Seattleites competing I felt I must watch all the same.  Their menu included appetizers of jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and bacon and wrapped in prosciutto, and grilled. They served them with a cranberry sauce.  These sound delicious and are variation of one I make already.  The person cooking them blanched them first, which I've never tried, but perhaps will now.  They also had roasted butternut squash soup.  YUM to soup anytime of year.

They smoked then deep fried turkey legs. Too much effort but it was appreciated by the judges.  stuffed mushrooms, and deconstructed green bean casserole went along.  I love stuff mushrooms, and green beans, so it all sounds delicious.  I'm not a fry person.  I don't deep fry anything. I barely pan fry. So its doubtful I would make their turkey legs.

Their desert though intrigued me, so much so I went to Sur La Table today and bought an Aebleskiver pan.
They made aeblskivers with apple chopped  inside, and dipping sauce of chunky apple and sugar. I'm thinking of cooking the apples with some cinnamon sugar, and using a little caramel as well.  They are kind of a donut hole type confection but also a danish pancake.  You cook them and turn them in the pan so that they form a round circle.   When you take them out you sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
The judges seemed to think these were quite delicious.  If they can cook them on a grill in the windy parking lot of the San Francisco 49'ers I'm thinking I can manage them at home inside. 
Well perhaps you will see photos of my own aebleskivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment